Monday, July 16, 2012

County Attorney Warns of Jury Duty 'Joke'


Gila County Attorney Daisy Flores says that some local residents have been the target of an out of state joke company. Fake warnings are left on texts and voice mails that say the recipient has failed to appear for jury duty.

The prankster company says an arrest warrant has been issued and leaves an out of state number to call. When you call the number you are told that you must either send $500 or serve thirty days in prison.
If you stay on the line long enough, you’ll hear that the whole thing is just a joke and be asked to forward the message to ten of your friends.

Not everyone thinks this  is funny. Gila County Clerk of Court Anita Escobedo says the court can penalize you if you fail to report for jury duty, but it doesn’t happen by a message left on your voice mail or a text message. Instead you would receive written direction from the Jury Commissioner’s Office. Any penalties come from the judge—not from an out of state phone number.

Flores says this time it is a joke. But the same message could be used to get you to send money or personal information. Never provide personal information over the telephone or internet unless you are sure you know who you are dealing with.

1 comment:

  1. I would hate to hear that message on my phone, I would be freaking out. I just received my first jury duty summons last month and I didn't know I had to fill out a questionnaire and send it back and I got a letter saying if I didn't send it back in a few days I would have to pay a fine or do jail time. It was scary. Jury duty is no fun, The only interesting part was when the nurse expert witness was on the stand. She was the only witness we got to see because the case settled shorty after.

    ReplyDelete