Monday, August 1, 2011

Valley Resident Comments on Globe Photo Radar

On Friday the following comment was posted to the March 30 blog entry Photo Enforcement in Globe Starts April 1:
I live in the valley and travel to Show Low several times a month by way of Globe/Miami. I usually stop in Globe/Miami to have breakfast and/or lunch depending on the time of day. Also trips to Roosevelt lake and the National Monument. Recently I received a photo ticket for allegedly driving 14 miles over the speed limit which is simply not true. I have been driving for more than 50 years and have never had a speeding ticket!

From now on I will simply avoid these two towns and use the route by way of Prescott. I have many friends that also use this route but made it a point to let them ALL know that Globe/Miami has become nothing but a speed trap for outsiders/tourist because the locals know where the cameras are and they are not the ones that will be paying these outrageous fines! All my friends agree and they will no longer take this route and will spread the word. I would have agreed to a $70 or $80 dollars fine to just make it go away, but $210.00 is nothing but highway robbery to say the least. BTW, if they think that they can extort this money from me, they will have to serve me, that is, if they can fine me. A letter in the mail will not due and I have filed it with my junk mail. Miami has become a ghost town and Globe is soon to follow.

10 comments:

  1. I have to agree, and I live here. There is simply NO NEED to have installed all the cameras and photo radar in such a small town, I feel like I am driving under surveillance. I dont speed, but feel uneasy about it all. It is just UN-American

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also received a photo radar speeding ticket for supposedly going 57 mph in a 40 mph section of the road. My ticket is $270 and was received by mail 60 days after the photo was taken. Needless to say I about choked on my wheaties! I paid my previous Phoenix tickets - 2 to be exact and each one was around $182 (which seemed more reasonable). I too am thinking about filing this away and waiting for a server to show up at my door (if they have the manpower to do this even!). Does anyone know what the potential downside in dollars is if I ended up having to pay an "additional service fee"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to Phoenix New Times, the additional fee is $25. Click "Photo Radar Scam" label above or in sidebar and scroll down for a link to the article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ticket says, "and a minimum $28.00 fee, if personal service required". I do believe this is the fee for the server. They are vague and throw in comments like, "To avoid further action and additional costs including default and collection fees", but fail to make it clear that by Arizona State law, tickets in the mail have no weight in the judicial arena unless they are registered/w signature. In order to legally abide by the law, the good old folks at the Australian based Redflex company, need to hire a licensed process server to personally serve you at your home or someone living in your home that personally knows you. I am not a lawyer, but this is the way I see it. They need to work for their money just like I spent my whole life doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell the Mayor of Globw "Thank You." This is his baby,plus don't buy his insuance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to know if there is a petition going around to get rid REDFLEX CAMERAS.If not there should be.Come MAY of 2012 it will be time to get rid of Mayor Fernando Shipley and VICE MAYOR THEA WILSHIRE and COUNCILWOMAN CARMEN CASILLAS.All three support REDFLEX. They are traps i have seen the yellow light turn at the blink of an eye to red more then once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in Colorado and passed through on a business trip. Yes, quite a shock to get a $200 ticket for a few miles over the limit on a big 4 lane blvd.

    I would think regular traffic stops would allow the police to check drivers for sobriety, but apparently the motivation is money.

    I guess the city council is going for the fast buck at the expense of tourism. Perhaps they need the money more than I do so they can just take it and crawl back under their rock.

    Glove Arizona: Alternate Route Suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i got flashed and just about blinded me..... WTF.... do i have to pay this?????? i am from out of state. will this effect my insurance???? my driving record?????

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do not have to pay unless you are served a warrant in person--which is unlikely.

    By the way, the Globe City Council has just voted to take down the Redflex cameras.

    ReplyDelete